Community Service Officer
Community Service Officer Test
If your application is in good standing with all documentation in place, you will be contacted with your testing date/time. DO NOT BE LATE! Applicants who are late for the testing time will NOT be permitted to test. Applicants not meeting the eligibility or failing to complete the application correctly, including required documentation will not be permitted to test. Picture ID will be verified before testing. Applicants should dress in in business attire for this testing process. This part of the process usually lasts one hour.
Applicants will take the Nelson Denny Test which has two components:
- Vocabulary – Tests a candidate’s vocabulary. You will have 15 minutes to complete this section, which has 80 questions.
- Comprehension – Tests a candidate’s ability to understand written words, as well as the ideas and concepts associated with them. Information is presented in a law enforcement context without requiring previous knowledge of law enforcement to answer questions. You will have 20 minutes to complete this section, which has 38 questions.
Physical Agility Course
The physical agility course will be conducted immediately following the National Corrections Officer Selection Test. Please be dressed in running/jogging attire. Shorts are permitted, but not recommended. The physical agility course must be completed. Not completing the physical agility course will result in disqualification.
After the interview process, the department will begin the background investigation on the qualified applicants. The Background Investigation process can take up to four weeks, or longer, depending on the number of applicants.
- The background investigation consists of going over your applications and questionnaire to ensure honesty and accuracy. It is important for an applicant to be honest in completing each document. Any attempt to hide or falsely make any statements on the documents may result in being disqualified from the process.
- Employer and Social references are contacted and questioned on your qualifications. (It is important that all phone numbers and email addresses are up-to-date on your applications. Failure to have up-to-date information, may result in being disqualified from the process)
- Friends, family, and neighbors are contacted and questioned on your qualifications. It is important to include phone numbers and email addresses for these references and to let them know that you have given their name as a reference.
- Criminal History, Drivers History, Complete Credit Report, Military History, High School/GED certification, College Certification are all examined for authenticity.
- Once the background is completed, applications will be sent to the Command Staff for review.
- Following the Command Staff review of all process documents, a decision will be made on who will receive a conditional job offer
- A conditional offer is made pending the outcome of a medical exam.
- If an applicant receives a conditional offer for any police department position, he/she must schedule a date to complete
- A physical exam with the medical facility contracted by the City of Myrtle Beach
- Upon passing the exam, Human Resources will provide a hire date
The entire process will require two visits to Myrtle Beach:
- Written Exam, Physical Agility Test, and Interview
- Physical Exam